Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
CUNY LIBRARIES ARE OPEN both ONLINE and on campus! We are open online for reference & instruction. E-resources are fully available. CUNY Libraries physical spaces are also open for quiet study, computers and wifi, materials pickup, and more. Please note that library plans are subject to change based on the evolving pandemic situation and plans at each campus. At this time, due to the pandemic, campus access (including libraries) may be restricted to each campus’ current students, faculty and staff. Some libraries require reservations. Please check our College Libraries page for details about the library you plan to visit.
Support Students Impacted by Coronavirus Crisis Donate Now
Staff Trainer Overview
Thank you for being a staff trainer for the CUNY Alma implementation. This guide provides a structure for your own Alma learning, and for creating training for your library's staff.
Here's how to use this guide:
- Work through this page from top to bottom. The cross-functional features like Search, creating Sets of records, running batch change Jobs, and working with Analytics are needed for work in all areas.
- Work through your functional area(s):
- Read and work through the Training Script(s) at the top. The script will walk you through how to view, create, edit, and maintain records in your functional area, and through the steps of basic processes such as circulation or ordering materials. There is a list of Tasks at the end of each script for suggested practice activities.
These scripts are also for you to use as the start of your own training materials. They're Word files, so you can customize them as needed with specific CUNY policies, procedures, or information.
- Review what's on the Ex Libris Training Guide page. Watch the training videos and read any additional Ex Libris documentation for a deeper understanding of what you learned through the scripts.
- Take what you've learned and practice it on your own, using examples from your own work. Use the Tasks at the end of the training scripts for ideas, if needed.
- Repeat for the next functional area.
- Discuss the training scripts and any questions with the rest of your trainer cohort. What questions came up for you as you worked through the scripts and videos? What policies or procedures does CUNY or your library need to develop between now and staff training? What else do you need to effectively train staff?
- Download and customize the training scripts based on those conversations. Identify or create example records, such as borrowers or orders, that will let you easily demonstrate the basic processes and also the "weird stuff."
- Practice. Practice training with other staff trainers, so you can learn from each other's training styles. Then practice with staff at your institution, for other perspectives on the scripts and examples.
- As CUNY develops a schedule and outline for training, conduct your sessions and revise your scripts based on feedback.
How to Develop & Offer Alma Training
A "trainer's playbook" on developing and providing Alma training. Developed by Jennifer Koerber, May 2020. Visit her at www.jenniferkoerber.com.
Harvard University Library Alma Training Videos (2019)
This series of videos was recorded in late 2018/early 2019 as an online component of their staff training program, and were the source material for the training scripts below. Recorded by Jennifer Koerber, Alma Training Manager for Harvard Library.
SUNY Alma Training Guides
The index guide to all of the SUNY Alma training guides. Includes step-by-step instructions, recordings of SUNY training webinars, and more.
Cross-Functional Training Resources
Introduction to Alma & Basic Search Training Script
This script covers logging into and navigating in Alma, and the basics of search and the search results list. This should be required of all staff. This file is in Word format, so you can customize it for local use.
Search, Sets, and Jobs
Advanced Search & Managing Sets Training Script
This script covers how to maximize the of Advanced Search in Alma, and how to create and manage sets of records. This should be required of all staff, because many work functions require one or both of these features. This file is in Word format, so you can customize it for local use.
Jobs Training Script
This script covers planning and running jobs for batch updates to records. This file is in Word format, so you can customize it for local use.
Fulfillment Training Resources
Fulfillment Training Script
This script covers basic Fulfillment and Circulation desk functions. This file is in Word format, so you can customize it for local use.
Resource Sharing Training Script
This script covers the borrowing and lending processes for Resource Sharing. Use with the Fulfillment script to fully cover every step of the resource sharing sequence. This file is in Word format, so you can customize it for local use.
Acquisitions Training Resources
Acquisitions Training Script
This script covers every step of the Acquisitions sequence, from pre-order searching through receiving and order maintenance. Note that E-Resources activation is covered in the separate E-Resources script. This file is in Word format, so you can customize it for local use.
Resource Management & Cataloging Training Resources
Cataloging and Physical Items Management Training Script
This script covers an introduction to the Metadata Editor and creating & editing bibliographic, holdings, and item records. Additional information on E-Resources is available in the E-Resources training script. This file is in Word format, so you can customize it for local use.
E-Resources Training Resources
E-Resources Training Script
This script covers primarily the E-Resources Activation sequence, and touches on adding local portfolios and collections. It's strongly recommended to get used to how E-Resources work in Alma before adding local materials. The file is in Word format, so you can customize it for local use.
Analytics Training Resources
Even more than Acquisitions or Cataloging, Analytics is a challenging topic to write a generic script for. The Ex Libris Training Guide provides good documentation to be introduced to Analytics. After that, use your knowledge of your data to build sample reports and show others how to use this powerful tool.
Watch the videos and review the documentation below in order, then visit the Training Guide to learn more.
Alma Trainer Training Series
In addition to providing self-guided training modules and scripts, Alma training consultant Jennifer Koerber also provided 2-hour sessions on various topics throughout April and May 2020.