Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Searching in Alma is an incredibly powerful tool. You can do a search simply to find data, but the usefulness doesn't stop there. You can export your search results to Excel for analysis or sharing. You can also save your search results in a set, which allows you to share it with your colleagues, make changes to the data, filter it further, or combine it with other sets. Use the links below to make the most out of your searches.
Searching in Alma
This is the ultimate how-to guide on searching in Alma
• What You Can Search For
• Simple Searches
• Advanced Searches
• Searching for Special Characters
• Searching for Special Symbols
• Saving and Reusing Search Queries
• Itemized Sets
• Logical Sets
• Combining Sets
• Creating a Titles Set from an Items, Portfolios, or Files Set
• Filtering Sets
• Saving Sets in Network Zone
Alma FAQs: Repository Search, Indexing
• What search options are available?
• Does Alma support wildcard, truncation, and Boolean searching?
• Are non-preferred terms searchable?
• Is browse searching supported?
• What special features does the advanced search offer?
• What search targets are supported?
• What protocols does Alma support for search and retrieve?
• Can a pre-search filter be set on a query?
• Can searches for bibliographic records be limited to those with purchase orders attached?
• Does Alma provide the ability to search all fields within all acquisitions records?
• How do search results display?
• Does Alma support Linked Data in search results?
• How are search results presented?
• Does Alma support material-type icons in the search results?
• Does Alma display peer reviewed and open access icons in the search results?
• Can search queries be saved?
• Can a search result be limited by language or material type?
• Can search results be filtered - e.g. by facets?
• Can linked bibliographic records be viewed in the search function?
• What fields are indexed in Alma?
• Is the 505 field indexed?
• How are indexes are created and maintained?
• How quickly are records indexed for search?
• How are non-roman scripts indexed?
• Can indexing of fields or sub-fields be customized by the institution?
Which fields are searchable for different areas?
Lists of searchable fields under:
• Electronic collections
• Electronic portfolios
• Physical items
What am I really searching?
This link tells you which MARC 21 bibliographic tags correspond to each search index in the All Titles search. For example, Title searches 130, 245, 246, etc. and Creator searches 100, 110, 111, 700, 710, 711, etc.