Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
CUNY LIBRARIES ARE OPEN both ONLINE and on campus! We are open online for reference & instruction. E-resources are fully available. CUNY Libraries physical spaces are also open for quiet study, computers and wifi, materials pickup, and more. Please note that library plans are subject to change based on the evolving pandemic situation and plans at each campus. At this time, due to the pandemic, campus access (including libraries) may be restricted to each campus’ current students, faculty and staff. Some libraries require reservations. Please check our College Libraries page for details about the library you plan to visit.
Support Students Impacted by Coronavirus Crisis Donate Now
Ebook Central (formerly Ebrary)
A constantly expanding collection of thousands of ebooks on a broad variety of disciplines. Instantly access the widest collection of scholarly ebooks spanning all academic disciplines. Discover, evaluate, and access titles easily and efficiently with intuitive search and user-centered design. Get hundreds of thousands of chapters or full books DRM-free — no special hardware or e-reader required. Highlight, cite and annotate directly in each book.
ProQuest Created Short Webinars for Faculty
Looking for ways to use video, ebooks, and databases in your online classrooms.
ProQuest Created Ebook Central Training and Support
ProQuest created guides on Ebook Central.
Attribution: [ProQuest Training]
Ebook playlist [Video Files]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-aFAdxOSTDdgMAjy0ZWA96-2L2XJd5bw
Videos in playlist:
- Ebook Central Overview and Searching (Jul 5, 2018)
- Ebook Central Reader (Sep 24, 2015)
- Ebook Central Bookshelf (Sep 24, 2015)
- Ebook Central Downloads Australia (May 1, 2017)
Attribution: [ProQuest Training]
Ebook Central Accessibility [Video File]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/xLlWQTY-s5M
Information on Downloading ebooks from Ebook Central
- The number of days you can borrow/download an ebook differs depending on the number of simultaneous users. Books with an unlimited number of users can be borrowed for 1-3 days, books with a limited number of users can only be borrowed for 1 day.
- Ebooks can be downloaded to laptops, desktops, tablets and phones (iOS and Android).
- The download screen recognizes the device you are using.
- It is recommend you choose EPUB format when downloading to tablets and phones because format is re-sizeable.
- For a full ebook download to a Laptop/Desktop you will need Adobe Digital Editions.
- If you would like to transfer the downloaded ebook to another device a Adobe ID (free) is required.
- You can download the book as a full ebook download, as a chapter, a page or a range of pages in PDF.
- Chapters are DRM-free and can be downloaded to PDF from the Ebook Central Reader. A chapter download does not expire. Please note that pages included in your Chapter Download are counted as part of your overall print allowances.
- In your Bookshelf, under Downloads & Loans, you can see the number of days and hours until each book expires.
- URL's to pages in ebooks can be copied and shared with other users at CUNY (but not outside).
- Please Note that you are not allowed to print out a complete ebook.
Text to speech:
Ebook Central doesn't have an integrated text-to-speech function. You can also use accessibility mode, in which pages of books are presented as text rather than images. If you use a screen reader such as JAWS, NVDA or VoiceOver instructions to turn on accessibility mode are available for reading when you enter the page
The Bookshelf is your personal account where you can save downloaded books, recently viewed books, notes and highlights. Create an account and sign in to use the "Bookshelf". To create your own Bookshelf click on the link in the navigation bar at the top of the page.
EBook Central will automatically timeout if you are idle for 15 minutes. You will see a blank page with the message: "You have been timed out due to inactivity. To continue, please refresh this page." Just reload the page in the web browser to continue reading the book.